Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Time, Tasks, and Getting Off Your Duff

There are days when it seems you have so much to do that you just sort of sit there and don't do much of anything. You look at the list of things you need or want to do and it seems overwhelming. Where to start?

This certainly feels like a day that could happen. I have at least three phone calls I should make. I need to get some more dog food, milk, and 60-watt light bulbs. I wanted to clean out a device we originally purchased to hold bills but instead has morphed into a thing where we hold generic papers we can't decide what to do with. You know the sort of stuff, you need to keep it, but you don't need it every day. Where does it go? Where do you put it so you can find it again if you need it (preferably without having to search for an hour). You organized people with file systems you actually use can stop snickering now.

Then there's some laundry. And I wanted to get more air filters and change the old ones out. And dust the air vents. Spread some soil out in the area we are going to turn into an herb garden. Write some blog posts (one of which Blogger already ate as I write this one -- So I'm composing this in Notepad, just to be safe). Oh, and gather some materials and send them off to the bank.

***

Well, I didn't get it all done but I got some of it done. Did the dusting and laundry, got the dog food and light bulbs and milk. Made two out of three phone calls. Wrote blogger posts. Realized I needed to straighten out the kitchen and put away all the clean dishes. Amazing how little that seems, yet I spent almost 6 hours today doing it (and some incidentals like lunch).

I truly don't understand how time manages to pass that way.

3 comments:

Alex Camacho said...

Great. I came to see if you had any new posts only to be reminded of a few things I SHOULD be doing around the house. Back to folding laundry. ;)

Justa Dad said...

I know what you mean.
When I was working I could multi-task several projects a once. Now, I consider it a good day if I can just get cooking, and a little cleaning in before the big kids get in from school.

Man I miss the ability to delegate.

Anonymous said...

Great blog. In case you care to know, I was searching for 1980 congressional legislation clean air act and your blog came up. I am glad I found it though.

Very nice.