Wednesday, February 23, 2005

By Golly, Time Does March On, Doesn't It?

This summer my high school class is having its twenty-year reunion. Good Lord, has it really been twenty years? I hadn't even been alive for twenty years when I graduated.

Anyway, this does bring up an interesting question for me. How much do I tell people about what I'm doing now, and how do I tell them? This is, of course, a subject I have visited before. And no doubt will again, as events warrant.

I could just give it to them straight. When my job ended and another one did not turn up after several months, we decided to just do the SAHD thing, and write and act as it came to me. Or I could say I've semi-retired, which amounts to the same thing, but with a different spin.

And do I say that it happened because of some luck in the market? Or do I admit the full truth, which is that the deaths of my parents created a nest egg (and lets face it, an opportunity) we didn't expect to have and which most people never get.

Its quite silly (but since my brain served it up to me one night it must mean something to me somewhere), but I was voted "Most Likely to Succeed" (more or less by default as the smartest guy in my class, as it was lacking in Joe Valiant types). I think I'd like to be able to lay some claim to having lived up to that, all these years later. One might say being able to leave the rat race at least part way is a pretty good definition of success, but the truth is that I didn't do much to achieve that. Managing not to do anything too stupid is an accomplishment of a sort, but it's not what I or most people think of when we say you achieved something.

Hmmm. Y'know, I think I've been down this road before as well.

1 comment:

Alex Camacho said...

Here's a road I've been going back and forth myself. I was raised to firmly believe I'm capible of any level of success so long as I set my mind to it. Two questions; What do you want? What are you willing to do to get it? Which break down to a core question; What is your will?. Here lately I find myself looking around myself and asking myself, "What is my will?" My wife is a successful business woman which allows me the opporturnity to do whatever I want. The problem is I've realised I'm in a funk because I don't know what I want right now. There's a part of me that knows I don't have anything to prove to anyone about where I'm going with my life but another part of me that says, yes you do; to yourself. DO SOMETHING. Sorry to use you as a sounding board but it's comforting to know that I'm not alone in this unusual situation. I hope you find a solution that works for you and hopefully you'll share your thoughts.
Keep bloggin. ;)
--Alex Camacho
http://www.littleboxofbones.com
http://www.passionforparties.com